10/28/2004

I think this is big news: The usually awfully stodgy and conservative Economist magazine has endorsed John Kerry. While I wouldn't say their endorsement is glowing in any sense of the imagination, they make some good points about how change is needed right now. They conclude:
John Kerry, for all the doubts about him, would be in a better position to carry on with America's great tasks.
See, like I said, not glowing. What more can you ask for though, this is a magazine that endorsed Dole in 1996 and Bush in 2000 (which is when I decided I wouldn't give them another penny until they supported a Democrat). But this will hopefully give pause to some of their U.S. readers who don't like the President's cut-taxes-and-spend policies or his bullheaded foreign policy but think that we should still "stay the course". I suppose I can renew my subscription now, but with the New Yorker, the Atlantic Monthly, and the Economist all on my coffee table, I'd never get any work done... ben