2/22/2008 Add a comment

Here are my choices and my predictions for this year's Oscars:

Best Picture
My Choice: No Country for Old Men
Prediction: No Country for Old Men

Best Actor
My Choice: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Prediction: Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actress
My Choice: ? (I've only seen Juno out of the five films)
Prediction: Julie Christie, Away from Her

Best Supporting Actor
My Choice: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Prediction: Bardem

Best Supporting Actress
My Choice: Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Prediction: Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone

Best Director
My Choice: Coen Brothers, No Country
Prediction: P.T. Anderson, TWBB

Most of these are "locks" except for actress and supporting actress. Either Amy Ryan or Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton) will win supporting actress, their performances fit the voters' preferences best in my mind. And if No Country and TWBB split the picture/director awards, that's not such a bad outcome.

But what do I know, I hate the Oscars, so they'll find a way to screw it up, like give best picture to Michael Clayton or best supporting actor to Hal Holbrook as though it's some kind of lifetime achievement award, for a movie where he didn't have to "act" and was in for fifteen minutes.

Your predictions in the comments, please. ben

Comments